My lawful basis for processing your information is:
- Contract: in order to carry meet our contractual obligations when carrying out your research.
- Consent: for those enquirers who do not go on to contract research, consent is given for your personal details to be used for contact purposes.
- Legal obligations: for example, tax and accounting purposes of business records.
How I collect information from you
- Information is collected from your initial enquiry via email, phone, SMR Family Research website contact form or AGRA (Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives) website contact
- Where research involves the tracing of living relatives, the personal details obtained will be from sources in the public domain, and only information needed to identify/contact the correct
living relative will be collected.
Personal information collected
- From the initial enquiry I collect personal information such as your address, email address and telephone number.
- Where relevant, personal information also includes details regarding living individuals for the purposes of creating a family history, for example, name, date and place of birth, date and place
of marriage and names of children.
How your information is used
- Your contact details will be used for the purposes of communicating with you regarding your research enquiry and, if you then engage my services, for updating you on the progress of your research
and for record keeping and accounting.
- I do not use your contact details to send out newsletters or general marketing emails.
- Information provided regarding living individuals supplied for research purposes will be used solely for the purposes of conducting research on your behalf by SMR Family Research.
- By contacting me and supplying your contact details you give permission to receiving a reply, as outlined above.
- By supplying information on living relatives, such as date and place of birth, you give consent to the use of that information for your research.
- You have the right to request a copy of the information SMR Family Research holds for you.
- Your contact details will not be shared with other researchers or third parties without express permission from yourself.
- Your commissioned research will not be published or shared with third parties without your permission.
- Laptops and mobile phones will be password protected. Operating systems will be kept up to date and covered by antivirus/firewall software.
- Once a contract is inactive printed materials will be held in filing cabinets.
How long I keep your information
- For paying clients, I have an obligation to HMRC to retain contact details for five years after the 31st January submission deadline of the relevant tax year.
- Contact details and any reports/histories created for enquirers and clients are generally retained to assist with potential further enquiries or research for up to 2 years after the last
contact. Except for records required by HMRC all other paper and electronic records will then be deleted.
- Subject to the requirements of the HMRC, you have the right to withdraw your contact details at any time and have the right to request that your information is erased from my records. Please
contact me using the details below should you wish your details to be removed.
Keeping up to date
Please help me keep your records up to date by informing me of any changes to your contact details.